Welsh Premiership: Weekend Lowdown

Apologies it’s a little late, but here’s a round-up from Matchday 3 in the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League. Welsh Premiership football has been slowly migrating over to Friday nights in recent years, and Matchday 3 was no different with most matches kicking off under the floodlights, here’s the latest from Wales’ top-flight…

Neath travelled the short distance to newly promoted Afan Lido on Friday night with an expectancy to win, Welsh Premier newboys Lido were just getting off the back of a 4 -1 thrashing away to Llanelli. The game was completely level until the 85th minute when Jones took the Port Talbot based Afan Lido into the lead, much to the disappointment of the Neath travelling support. To top things off, Afan Lido’s newest manager, Andy Dyer, only left his position at Neath a week or two ago, so this result must give him a great psychological advantage. Full-timers Neath, who are aiming to be playing Champions League next season, are hoping this result is simply a blip and not an indication of  they they will play this season.

Carmarthen Town played host to Port Talbot Town in yet another Friday night kick-off, this fixture saw a large number of very local Port Talbot fans make their way down the M4, only to be met by a surprisingly large Police presence, who were ensuring no flares or smoke bombs were being carried into the ground after a flare delayed play in last matchday’s game between Port Talbot and The New Saints. Port Talbot’s performance looked positive in the first twenty minutes, but after conceding a 19th minute goal from Carmarthen’s very own Palmer, their performance slipped. Carmarthen doubled their lead two minutes from time, securing the three-points to the ‘Old Gold’, Carmarthen Town.

Saturday’s Televised game saw Bangor City draw with Aberystwyth, a 48th minute Moses goal took Aberystwyth into the lead only to see Bangor equalise two minutes later thanks to a wonderful effort from Edwards. The game saw an unusual amount of bookings, with James receiving two yellows and Evans, Codling and Cann being booked for the travelling Aberystwyth team, Thomas and Roberts were also booked for the home side. Those bookings alone give you an idea of the standard of the match, which was scrappy and physical at best.

In other results,  Llanelli travelled away to Airbus, a 25th minute strike from Moses saw Llanelli go into the lead, much against the run of play. Airbus equalised in the 61th thanks to a wonderful Sheridan effort, the game ended one a piece. The New Saints triumphed against local rivals Prestatyn Town, thanks to two early goals from the Saints, the match ended 2 – 1. Newtown were also defeated by two late goals from an impressive Bala Town side, a team who’ve been surprising everyone this season.

The Author

Sion Cleaver

An all-singing, never dancing football writing person-thingy. Wales' equivalent to Darth Maul.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *