Welsh Premiership: Weekend Lowdown

Last weekend enjoyed more shocks and excitement in the Corbett Sports Welsh Premier League. The weekend saw disappointing crowds at most Welsh Premier crowds, with Neath’s crowd of nearly 600 as the biggest. The matches themselves did not dissapoint however, with a number of great results that immediately catch the eye.

Port Talbot Town only managed to get a point in their opening game of the season against Airbus, but with the backing of an incredibly vocal home crowd, Port Talbot managed to pull off the biggest giant killing of the WPL campaign so far. Matty Williams’ first half goal took full-timers The New Saints into the lead only to see Port Talbot claw back an equaliser courtesy of a 52 minute Cortez Belle goal. The match took an amazing turn in the 94th minute with a tremendous goal from Port Talbot’s very own Dylan Blain, a wonderful 2 – 1 result for a Port Talbot team that has enjoyed a number of outstanding signings this summer.

The weekend’s Sunday game saw big-spenders Neath defeat Champions Bangor City by two goals to nil. A scrappy first half saw a small number of chances, all of which both keepers, Lee Kendall and Lee Idzi had no trouble with dealing. The second half followed the same pattern until the 71st minute, which saw a tremendous strike from former Swansea City player Kerry Morgan take Neath into the lead. Their lead was doubled seven minutes later with a superb left-footed finish from Craig Hughes to secure the three points for the South Wales based outfit.

Mural outside Port Talbot Town's GenQuip stadium.

Saturday’s Televised game saw Carmarthen Town travel to Bala for an evening kick-off. In fact, this was the only Welsh Premier League match to be played on Saturday in order to avoid a clash with Wales’ high-profile Rugby Union match and Swansea City’s English Premier League debut against Wigan. A Mark Connolly penalty in the 40th minute saw North Walians Bala go one up on Carmarthen, only to double their lead in the 71st minute thanks to a Chris Mason strike. The first goal at Maes Tegid saw the Bala Town fans perform the ‘Poznan’ celebration made famous by English giants Manchester City, a celebration unseen on this side of the border until now. The match can be viewed in full at anytime for the next month through S4/C’s On Demand service.

Prestatyn Town drew at home to Airbus UK of Broughton in a mediocre 2 – 2 confrontation, which saw a stoppage time penalty grab Prestatyn a point. New boys Afan Lido got dealt a 4-1 drubbing away to big boys Llanelli, Newtown were also dealt the same fate in their local derby against Aberystwyth Town. The next round of Welsh Premier League action will begin on Friday, with Afan Lido’s local derby with full-timers Neath and Carmarthen Town’s home game against Port Talbot Town the highlights.

Match highlights of every game from this weekend’s Welsh top-flight can be found here.

The Author

Sion Cleaver

An all-singing, never dancing football writing person-thingy. Wales' equivalent to Darth Maul.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *