Blue Square Premier League – Week Five

After opening up a six point over the bank holiday period, the last two unbeaten teams both tasted defeat this weekend. League leaders Wrexham stay top despite losing 3-1 away at Barrow, who have already dispatched Fleetwood during their impressive start to the season. Jake Speight gave Wrexham a half time lead before defender Phil Bolland equalised early in the second half. Adam Boyes continued his fine form with two goals ether side of Danny Wright red card for a clash that left Bolland with a dislocated jaw. Gateshead also tripped up, although less of an upset, with the 3-1 loss at Fleetwood. Jamie Vardy scoring twice for the Cod Army alongside Andy Mangan’s first half effort. Yemi Odubade scored a fine free kick but couldn’t affect the result.

With the top two losing, Mansfield cut the gap to four points with an impressive 5-0 at home to Newport County. Louis Briscoe scored twice, with goals from Matt Green, Ross Dyer and Luke O’Neill completing the rout. Such was the ease of the victory, the tannoy announcer at the New Mill announced a special deal at the club bar to celebrate with five minutes of the game left. Kidderminster stayed in the play off places despite dropping point in the 2-2 draw with Ebbsfleet. The Harriers took the lead twice through Luke Jones and Nick Wright’s goals but couldn’t hold on as Liam Enver-Marum and John Herd twice brought Ebbsfleet level to gain a well-earned point. Tamworth currently occupy the last of the play off places as penalties from Kieran St Amie and Iyseden Christie secured the points for the home team. York’s Jason Walker scored a late consolation.

Luton’s good home form continued as goals from Danny Crow and Stuart Fleetwood ensured the hatters gained three points at the expense of Darlington. League new boys Braintree Town moved to within touching distance of the top five with Chib Chilaka’s eighteenth minute goal earned them a win at Alfreton Town, with whom Chilaka had had a pre season trial. Cambridge United and Forest Green Rovers could not be separated at the Abbey Stadium. Charlie Griffin scored a ninth minute goal for Forest Green before Ashley Carew secured a point for Cambridge with a second half penalty. Dan Walker and Tony Gray put Southport 2-0 away at Twerton Park, before Marley Watkins gave Bath City hope with just ten minutes remaining. Southport held on for the victory that keeps them in the top half of the table.

In the other games held on the Saturday, Grimsby scored an impressive win at home to struggling Hayes & Yeading. Rob Duffy scored two goals and Bradley Wood scored a forty-yard free kick in the swirling wind to ensure a second consecutive win for the Mariners. New Kettering manager Mark Stimson had the best possible start to his Poppies career with a fine 2-0 win away at Lincoln City. Jean-Paul Marna and Moses Ashikodi (penalty) both scored in the second half to secure the perfect start for Stimson.

Tuesday night saw finally saw the last of the fixtures from the opening day take place. After being originally being postponed due to police advice AFC Telford finally took on Luton Town. Amari Morgan-Smith scored twice as the Hatters moved to third in the table, and held on even after Phil Trainers red card. Jamie Reed scored in the other game as York City beat Bath City 1-0 as Bath stayed bottom of the league.

Barrow’s Adam Boyes and Jon Shaw of Gateshead currently hold the joint lead in the scorers table with seven goals. Amari Morgan-Smith, Forest Green’s Reece Styche and York City’s Jason Walker follow close behind on six.

The Author

Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *