Blue Square Bet Premier – Form teams continue to fire

The weather took its toll on the Blue Square programme on Tuesday night as the games between Macclesfield and Mansfield and Hyde and Alfreton were postponed leaving ten games going ahead.

The top six all picked up maximum points as the form teams started to move away from the chasing pack into their own battle. Newport came from behind after an early Kieran St Amie had put Telford United ahead against the Exiles. Aaron O Connor, Dan Preston, Yakubu and Andy Sandell put the league leaders in an unassailable position. A late own goal from Andy Sandell gave Telford a consolation.

Forest Green also came from behind away from home to pick up a good three points at Hereford. Stefan Stam put the Bulls ahead early in the first half, but goals from Ben Wright and Yan Klukowski earned the win for the visitors to keep them in second place. Jay Harris, Andy Bishop and Rob Ogleby scored the goals as Wrexham beat Barrow 3-0 to remain third and send Barrow back into the bottom four. Grimsby also won by three goals against Gateshead with Derek Niven, Nathan Pond and Ross Hannah enough to see off the visitors and keep the Mariners in the play off positions.

The trend for comebacks continued at Tamworth as Luton scored two second half goals to beat their hosts 2-1. John Dempster put Tamworth ahead midway through the first half but two goals in three second half minutes from Yaser Kasim and Stuart Fleetwood won the points for the Hatters. Dartford moved up the table with a fine 2-0 win away at Braintree thanks to first half strikes from Tom Bonner and Jacob Erskine. Ebbsfleet and Woking shared the points in an entertaining game in Kent. Joe Howe had given the home team the lead after just eight minutes, but Woking struck back with jack Parkinson’s goal and then Brett Johnson’s header. It was left to the Fleet’s Phil Walsh to head the equaliser with 15 minutes left.

Southport and Stockport shared the points at Haigh Avenue with a late goal in each half. Danny Hattersley put the visitors ahead in the first half, but dropped two points after Sean Newton’s late own goal leveled the game. Lincoln picked up a valuable win after coming from behind to beat Nuneaton, after James Armson put the away side ahead. The Imps turned the game around in the last 15 minutes when Nicky Nicolau’s free kick and Tom Miller’s header made sure the points stayed at Sincil Bank. Kidderminster picked up their first win of the season and moved off the bottom of the table with an impressive win at the Abbey Stadium. Josh Coulson had headed Cambridge ahead early in the second half, but a hat trick from Ryan Rowe earned the adulation of the Harriers fans as he kick started their season.

The Author

Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *