The FA Cup 3rd Round – The non league review

There was mixed results for the four remaining non league teams in this seasons FA Cup, two of them bowed out after fine runs, but two remain and produced terrific shocks to book their place in Round Four.

Macclesfield finally managed to finally get past fellow BSBP team Barrow nearly a month after the tie was meant to be played to earn their home tie against Cardiff City, and they produced one of the shocks of the round beating the Championship leaders 2-1 at home after coming from behind to set up a possible home tie against premiership Wigan Athletic. Nat Jarvis had the visitors ahead on 57 minutes after a well fought but goalless first half, and for most of the game it looked like it would stay that way, but Matthew Barnes – Homer equalised with just five minutes remaining. The home fans were celebrating an unlikely draw when the Silkmen were given a penalty, which Barnes – Homer cooly slotted home the penalty to go down in Macclesfield legend and beat the side placed 81 places above them in the league.

Luton Town also managed a massive win as the Hatters managed to despatch Wolverhampton Wanderers in front of nearly ten thousand people at Kenilworth Road. After a goalless first half, Alex Lawless put the hosts ahead just a minute into the second half and Wolves didn’t create much to threaten a replay. As well as going out of the cup, Wolves also lost their manager as Stale Solbakken was sacked from his post just hours later. This victory earned a trip to Norwich in the next round.

Mansfield Town lost controversially to Liverpool and must have thought they deserved at least a shot at a replay at Anfield. Debutant Daniel Sturridge put the Reds ahead after just seven minutes although they couldn’t add to it and struggled to take a grip of the game. This caused Brendan Rogers to make a substitution and bring on Luis Suarez, and this brought the most talked about moment of the weekend, when he clearly used his arm to control the ball before scoring to put the visitors two goals clear. Matt Green scored to put some pressure on LIverpool in the last ten minutes, but they couldn’t quite find the equaliser, and eventually lost the tie, although they gained more than a few fans from their performance.

The lowest ranked team left in the competition was Hastings United, and they bowed out after going down 4-1 at the Riverside Stadium to Middlesbrough.  A double from Meroanne Zemmama added to goals from Ishmael Miller and Andy Halliday earned the hosts a place in the next round, although the day was not a wasted journey for the 1000+ fans that made the long journey to cheers their heroes on. Bradley Goldberg scored to give the fans something to cheer and a memory of their day as well as reserve keeper Liam O Brien (a last minute signing), who saved a penalty from Miller in the first half.

Fourth Round Draw

Macclesfield Town vs Wigan / Bournemouth

Norwich City vs Luton Town

Author Details

Stephen Fallows
Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

Leave a Reply