Making the cover of America’s premiere sporting magazine is the sporting equivalent of donning the cover of TIME magazine.
AC Milan and Italy star Mario Balotelli has made this month’s issue, joining illustrious sport stars such as Tiger Woods, LeBron James and Michael Jordan.
Dubbed the ‘most interesting man in the world’, it’s easy to see why. Balotelli is undoubtedly one of the most colourful characters in all of sport, and it’s fantastic to see this being tallied across the pond.
Here are some notable Balotelli facts:
- Survived a usually fatal disease at birth
- £10,000 in parking fines
- £300,000 fine for throwing darts at the youth team
- Won £25,000 in a casino, gave £1,000 to a tramp outside
- Rescued a child from bullying
- Threw water balloons at Serie A meeting
- Bibotelli saga
- Had a £120,000 Audi R8 imported and wrote it off within a week
- Had his friends approach girls in clubs and say “Balotelli will see you now.”
- Started fights with Kompany, Boateng and Tevez at training
- Was frequently seen at the AC Milan superstore while playing for inter
- Went on TV in an AC shirt with his name on while at Inter
- U21s game for Italy, kicks a Swedish player while he’s down and proceeds to just sit on the pitch ignoring the opposition and the referee for about a minute.
- He winked at Ferdinand at the semi final of the FA cup and celebrate in front of the Man Utd fans.
- After the FA cup final, on live TV, says “This season I have been s***. Can I say that?”
- Was stopped by police driving round Hulme in his Maserati with £25,000 cash on the passenger seat. When asked why he said “because I’m rich”
- Had to go off at half time in a game in Ukraine due to an allergy to the pitch
- Drove his car into a women’s prison so he could have a look around
- Brought iPad to bench during International friendly.
- Set house on fire using fireworks
- The “Why always me?” shirt
- Drove around Manchester high fiving city fans from his car the day after the 6-1 victory.