Heart draw first blood in Melbourne derby

The first Melbourne derby took place last weekend with the newly formed Heart taking on the well established Victory. Having been delayed by a week due to a draw and subsequent replay in the AFL (Australian Rules) Grand Final, the two sides finally locked horns at AAMI Park. A bumper crowd of 25,897 witnessed the historic occasion with the Heart coming out on top by two goals to one. They went ahead through former Socceroo striker John Aloisi but a Robbie Kruse strike evened things up just after the half hour. The Heart however regained the lead ten minutes into the second period thanks to Alex Terra and that was enough to secure the three points and early bragging rights in the Victorian capital.

Adelaide United still sit pretty at the top of the ladder with their latest victory coming at the expense of the winless Sydney FC. The hosts actually took the lead at the Sydney Football Stadium thanks to an Alex Brosque penalty on 40 minutes after Iain Fyfe was adjudged to have pulled Stephen Keller’s shirt in the area. United responded after half time though and drew level when Sydney defender Shannon Cole put past his own keeper. Both sides looked set to leave with a point until Iain Ramsay fired home a 91st minute winner for the South Australians. Adelaide remain unbeaten so far this season while Sydney continue to prop up the league.

A late, late winner from substitue Rocky Visconte meant Brisbane Roar maintained the six point gap between themselves and Adelaide. The Queenlanders had gone ahead inside the first minute through Brazilian Reinaldo but Scott Neville responded with an equaliser just six minutes later. Brisbane were the better side throughout and would have been disappointed to have claimed just a point. Glory are now winless in their last four games having started the season superbly and pressure is once again mounting on coach Dave Mitchell who has never been a popular figure with the club’s fans.

The Central Coast Mariners maintained their third spot with a thrilling 3-2 win at home to the North Queensland Fury. It took an injury time winner from Mariners defender Patrick Zwaanswijk to finally settle the contest which ebbed and flowed throughout. The Fury took a 12th minute lead through Simon Storey but second half strikes from Matt Simon and Patricio Perez turned the game in favour of the Mariners. However, parity was again restored when Daniel McBreen turned the ball into his own net but Zwaanswijk finally settled the contest with his 92nd minute header.

Also winning at home were Gold Coast United who downed Wellington Phoenix 3-1 in front of another disappointing crowd of under 3000 at Skilled Park. Bruce Djite was the star of the show, netting twice, though he wasted a good opportunity to complete his hattrick. United went ahead thanks to Djite in the fifth minute before Paul Ifill equalised from the spot four minutes later. It took until the hour mark for Djite’s second and a James Brown strike ten minutes from full time sealed the win.

Round 10

Friday, 15 October 2010

North Queensland Fury v Perth Glory

Saturday, 16 October 2010

Melbourne Victory v Sydney FC

Brisbane Roar v Newcastle Jets

Sunday, 17 October 2010

Gold Coast United v Adelaide United

Wellington Phoenix v Melbourne Heart

Central Coast Mariners BYE

Author Details

Neil Sherwin
Neil Sherwin

Co-editor of BackPageFootball.com. Writes mostly on Premier League and A-League with contributions to other sites including TheFootballSack, InBedWithMaradona and Bloomberg's BSports. Has featured on The Guardian's Football Weekly.

Leave a Reply