Yes it’s that time again, time for the summer transfer window, perhaps one of the most anticipated events on the world football agenda. An event filled with money, endless disputes and countless rumors.
And although it may feel far away, the rumors are still coming thick and fast despite a huge week in world football where one of the world’s greatest rivalry’s got way out of hand, Kolo Toure was slapped with a drug ban and Sir Alex lost his head after Manchester United lost to Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. But with the papers filled with those headlines, the rumors that do filter through may actually be true, with the press having no need to fill up the back page with untrue rumors.
Here are 10 of the biggest transfer rumors in the Rumor Mill this week:
1. Chelsea, along with Barcelona and Inter are reported to be after Udinese and Chile winger, Alexis Sanchez. The Chilean has attracted interest from a whole range of clubs after a strong performance at last year’s FIFA World Cup in South Africa. With his lightning pace, gifted finishing, exquisite technique, Alexis Sanchez could be the subject of an expensive bidding war during the summer window.
2. Meanwhile, Udinese and Ghana midfielder Kwadwo Asamoah could be another Udinese departure in the summer with Arsenal and Tottenham both expressing interest in him. Asamoah was another superb performer in last year’s World Cup, miraculously helping Ghana to the Quarter Finals of the tournament. Expect a bidding war between the two North London sides come the summer.
3. Genoa defender Domenico Criscito is yet another left-back that has been rumored to be on the way to Anfield in the summer.Criscito has had a great season so far, managing to force his way in to the Italian national team from nowhere with impressive performances in the Serie A. But according to various sources, the Italian wants a move to Liverpool, to take his career to another level.
4. According to Goal.com, Arsenal are interested in acquiring the services of Emilio Izaguirre as a replacement for Gael Clichy after contract negotiations with the Frenchman stalled last week.Clichy has just 12 months left on his contract in North London and is refusing to sign a contract extension with the Gunners leaving Arsene Wenger time to wrap up a deal for his rumored replacement, Emilio Izaguirre. The Honduras and Celtic left-back is rated at £4.5 million but it is a price certain to rise after Manchester United, Aston Villa and Liverpool all expressed interest in him.
5. According to the Daily Star, AC Milan have joined the race for Southampton winger, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. Chamberlain has already attracted interest from the likes of Manchester United, Liverpool, Tottenham and Barcelona but those close to the youngster believe that Arsenal are the front-runners.
6. Chelsea have offered a trial to former Barcelona starlet, Cristian Ceballos after he failed to progress through the ranks at Barcelona. The 16-year-old became famous four years ago when he appeared on YouTube juggling a ball with Ronaldinho. He will train with the youth setup at Chelsea in Cobham, in an attempt to win a deal.
7. According to talkSPORT, Zenit St Petersburg are apparently interested in re-signing Arsenal forward, Andrey Arshavin. The Russian club sold Arshavin in 2009 to Arsenal for an undisclosed fee but are rumored to want the striker back. But whether or not Arshavin wants to move back to his native Russia remains to be seen.
8. Also via talkSPORT, Chelsea have begun their approach for Brazilian wonder-kid Neymar Da Silva. The forward was expected to sign for Chelsea last summer, but the deal fell through after Santos raised their asking price to meet the £29.6 million release clause in his contract. Shorty after, Neymar’s agent Wagner Ribeiro revealed that the Brazilian wouldn’t be leaving Santos until after the 2012 London Olympics.But with some formal interest from Chelsea this summer, will Neymar and his agent keep that stance?
9. And more from talkSPORT as Liverpool are apparently poised to make a move for Villarreal defender Mateo Musacchio. Damien Comolli and Kenny Dalglish have made the defender a top priority for the summer to fill the gaping hole at left back that has existed since the departure of Risse. But the Villarreal man is not yet in the box seat so expect a whole lot of names to be linked with a move to Anfield.
10. Various papers in England are today reporting that Avram Grant will be on his way back to Chelsea if owner, Roman Abramovich gets his way.
Meanwhile, current Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti is being heavily linked with a move to Roma after Claudio Ranieri resigned as a result of a poor run of form from the Italians. Look out Chelsea fans, you could be in for a rough summer.