Brisbane rampant over Heart-less Melbourne

Brisbane Roar handed Melbourne Heart an embarrassing 4-0 hammering on Saturday to remain in second spot in the Hyundai A-League. Reinaldo, Erik Paartalu and Mitch Nichols scored their first goals of the season, while Kosta Barbarouses helped himself to his second of the campaign. The result could have been worse for the Heart were it not for some superb goalkeeping by Clint Bolton as Brisbane managed twenty attempts on goal in total. Heart’s miserable afternoon was compounded when defender Dean Heffernan was given his marching orders for two yellow cards.

Joining the Roar on 12 points are the Central Coast Mariners who had a bye in Round 8, though both sides are still trailing runaway leaders Adelaide United. The South Australians handed Perth Glory their third straight defeat with a comfortable 2-0 win at Hindmarsh Staidum. Striker Sergio Van Dijk was the hero, bagging two goals in as many second half minutes. Mathew Leckie and Marcos Flores were again in inspired form for United and tormented the Perth defence throughout. Jamie Coyne saw red for the visitors for a second bookable offence on 75 minutes to add to a growing list of problems for manager Dave Mitchell. Next up for Glory is a difficult home game against Brisbane.

Wellington Phoenix continued their amazing home record with a 2-1 win over North Queensland Fury. The home side raced out of the blocks and were two goals up after 13 minutes thanks to strikes from Chris Greenacre and Leo Bertos. They were cruising to victory until Vince Lia saw red on 64 minutes, and Mark Hughes pulled a goal back for the Fury to set up a nervy finale. However the Phoenix held on for the three points. Fury skipper Ufuk Talay has since been handed a two match suspension by the league’s match review panel for an off the ball incident during the game.

Last season’s champions Sydney FC are still winless and routed to the bottom of the league following their 1-1 draw with Gold Coast United. Bruno Cazarine opened the scoring for Sydney with a diving heder but United drew level through Bruce Djite. Former Manchester United defender John Curtis was dismissed for use of the arm only 60 seconds after coming on as a substitute leaving Gold Coast to absorb wave upon wave of Sydney attacks for the final twenty minutes. They held firm though to leave with a hard earned point.

The Newcastle Jets, still on a high following their confirmed change of ownership, played out an entertaining 0-0 draw with Melbourne Victory. In front of a healthy crowd of 8,652, the Jets put in a great first half performance, though they did fade in the second period and were thankful for goalkeeper Ben Kennedy’s excellent form between the posts.

Round 8 –

Wednesday, 29 September 2010

Sydney FC v North Queensland Fury

Round 9 –

Friday, 1 October 2010

Gold Coast United v Wellington Phoenix

Saturday, 2 October 2010

Central Coast Mariners v North Queensland Fury

Sunday, 3 October 2010

Perth Glory v Brisbane Roar

Monday, 4 October 2010

Sydney FC v Adelaide United

Friday, 8 October 2010

Melbourne Heart v Melbourne Victory

Newcastle Jets BYE

Author Details

Neil Sherwin
Neil Sherwin

Co-editor of Writes mostly on Premier League and A-League with contributions to other sites including TheFootballSack, InBedWithMaradona and Bloomberg's BSports. Has featured on The Guardian's Football Weekly.

Leave a Reply