Blue Square Premier League – Week Eight

October began as September ended with Gateshead at the top of the Blue Square Premier despite being held by mid table Tamworth. James Curtis put the hosts ahead with a first half header, and they had looked to secure all three points, but a penalty from Iyseden Christie late in the game pulled Tamworth back level and earned a share of the points. Fleetwood stayed second after a win at this seasons surprise package Braintree. Jamie Milligan’s converted penalty gave Fleetwood a short-lived lead but Kenny Davis equalized almost immediately. The Cod Army secured the win when Sean Clancy scored the winner midway through the second half.

Wrexham kept up the pressure and stayed just a point behind the top two with a 1-0 win against Ebbsfleet at the Racecourse Ground. Jake Speight converted the penalty that was enough for the win, after Adrian Ciezlewicz was fouled in the area. Kidderminster kept hold of the last place of the play off places. A single goal from Jamille Matt was enough to win the game against the Poppies, who had earlier this week placed strikers Moses Ashikodi and Jean-Paul Marna on the transfer list after the fight which lead to the both being sent off last week. York also stayed up at the right end of the table after their 2-1 win at Stockport County. Goals from Matty Blair and Jason Walker put York two up before Michael Paton’s consolation deep into injury time.

An early goal from Jack Mackreth put Barrow into a surprise lead against Luton Town at Kenilworth Road. The lead was short lived as Robbie Willmott equalized within ten minutes. Luton eventually won comfortably, as Willmott scored again along with Adam Watkins, James Dance and Amari Morgan-Smith, which made it 5- 1 at full time. Mansfield held onto a point even after being reduced to ten men away at Forest Green. Ross Dyer put Mansfield ahead in the first minute but Kieron Forbes equalized just before half time. Anthony Howells straight red put the game in doubt but the Stags managed to hold on. An Andy Owens goal after just three minutes was enough for Southport to end Cambridge United recent eight game unbeaten run.

Mid-table Telford could only manage a point at home to struggling Hayes & Yeading. Richard Davies put Telford ahead in the first half but Richard Pacquette’s 85th minute goal saved a point for Hayes. A four-goal haul from Liam Hearn was the performance of the weekend as he almost single handedly won the points for Grimsby in the 5-2 win at home to Alfreton. Paul Clayton had put Alfreton into a lead that lasted till just before the hour mark before Hearn’s four goals secured the points. Nathan Jarman pulled a goal back in injury time before Anthong Elding made it five for Grimsby.

In Saturday’s other games, goals from Marc Bridge-Wikinson and Tadhg Purcell were enough for Darlingotn to beat Newport 2-0. Bath City are still looking for a win this season after Sam Smith and Gavin McCallum scored the goals that saw Lincoln City also chalk up a two win against the basement side in the league.

Tuesday night’s only fixture saw the top of the table clash between Gateshead and Wrexham, which resulted in a comfortable 4-1 for the visitors and saw them return to the top of the table. Danny Wright put the Red Dragons ahead very early on. Joe Clarke and Mark Creighton made it 3-0 before Gateshead captain Kris Gate gave the Tynesders hope but it was in vain as a penalty from Dean Keates ensured the points returned to Wales.

Author Details

Stephen Fallows
Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

Leave a Reply