Blue Square Premier League Round Up

After a quiet couple of weeks due to the FA Trophy and the cold snap playing havoc with the fixture list at all levels of the game, the Blue Square Premier was back with a full programme over the weekend.

Fleetwood stayed two points clear at the top of the league after winning by a single goal against Cambridge United. Andy Mangan scored in the third minute and keeper Scott Davies made sure they held on for the win, a result now means they are unbeaten in eighteen games.

Wrexham won convincingly 4-1 against Hayes & Yeading at the Racecourse Ground. Goals from Jake Speight, Mark Creighton, Jay Harris and Mathias Pogba put the dragons in an unassailable lead. Michael Thalassitis scored a late consolation for the visitors but the home side won and kept in touch with the leaders with a game in hand.

Luton Town stayed in third place after a fine 3-0 win against Tamworth. Stuart Fleetwood, Janos Kovacs and a Francino Francis own goal set up the victory for the Hatters. York City also consolidated their play off place after coming from behind to beat Stockport 2-1. Danny Rowe put the visitors ahead but two goals in the last six minutes from Jamie Reed and Matthew Blinkhorn earned the three points for the Minstermen.

Southport threw away an opportunity to put some daylight between the top five and the rest of the pack after losing 2-1 at home to Grimsby who moved into sixth in the Friday night game. The hosts were ahead in the first half after an Anthony Elding own goal but Grimsby fought back with Ian Miller and BSP top scorer Liam Hearn scoring the goals to put the Mariners in the hunt for one of the sought after play off place.

Kidderminster earned a late point after a 1-1 draw with Lincoln City. The imps were ahead through Jefferson Louis’ header but Steve Guinan scored inn injury time to earn a share of the points.  Forest Green stayed in their mid table position after a 2-1 at home to Gateshead. Mickey Cummins put the Tynesiders ahead in the thirteenth minute but Tommy Wright put the home back on level terms. Liam Henderson scored a winner ten minutes from time and Rovers held on despite Gateshead threatening to equalise late on in the game.  A single first half goal from Sam Foley was enough for Newport to move into sixteenth place after a 1-0 win against Mansfield.

Barrow scored an important 3-0 win at home against struggling Kettering. A penalty from Richie Baker in the first half and two goals in five second half minutes from Andy Cook secured the points in a comfortable win for the Bluebirds. A single goal from Kyle Perry earned Telford a 1-0 win against Braintree in a game that moved them further away from the relegation zone.

A brave performance from Bath wasn’t enough to gain any points in a 2-3 loss against ten men Ebbsfleet. Nathaniel Pinney put the Fleet ahead and they held the lead for a while, but Gethin Jones scored an equalizer for Bath before Ricky Shakes and Gozie Ugwu seemed to do enough for the points. Sean Canham scored a consolation goal deep into injury time but it wasn’t enough as the basement side continues to struggle.

Alfreton came from behind to beat Darlington 3-1 as they pushed to escape the bottom four. Ryan Bownan put the Quakers ahead before Nathan Arnold leveled to keep parity at the break. Paul Clayton put the home side ahead and then Arnold added his second and Alfreton’s third to leave them in the drop zone only on goal difference.

Author Details

Stephen Fallows
Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

Leave a Reply