Blue Square Premier League – Newport set the pace

A busy first week of the Blue Square Bet Premier League came to an end with the third round of games over the weekend.

League leaders Newport County continued their excellent 100% start to the season with a decent 2-1 win against visitors Lincoln City. Aaron O’Connor scored his fourth and fifth goals of the season to give the hosts a strong half time lead. Jamie Taylor brought the Imps back into the game with a goal early in the second half but they couldn’t find an equaliser and Newport headed to the top after winning three successive games for the first time in nearly three years.  Hereford United kept up pressure at the top with a fine away win Alfreton with three quick second half goals. Marley Watkins, Sean Canham and Tom Nicholls scored within a quarter of an hour before Paul Denton was sent off to end any hopes Alfreton may have had of fighting back. Luton Town took up their usual position in the top five after coming from behind against Hyde United in Friday nights game. Matt Blinkhorn put the Northerners ahead before second half goals from JJ O’ Donnell and the in form Stuart Fleetwood wrapped up the points for the Hatters.

Cambridge United’s unbeaten start to the season continued with a 2-0 win at home to Southport. A quick double from Tom Elliott secured the points at the Abbey Stadium. Tamworth kept their spot in the play off places after beating Stockport County 1-0 at home thanks to a Sam Oji goal right on the stroke of half time. Macclesfield Town hit the target once in each half to consign new boys Dartford to their third defeat in a row this season. An own goal from Tom Champion put Macclesfield ahead before a last minute penalty from Charlie Henry made sure of the victory.  Woking impressed after coming from behind against winless Barrow with a 3-1 win after Gary Hunter scored a screamer from outside the area to put the Bluebirds ahead before Joe McNerney quickly brought the hosts back on level terms. Second half goals from Bradley Bubb and Loick Pires won the points for the Sussex side.

Gateshead and Forest Green Rovers shared the points in 1-1 draw with both goals coming in the second half. The hosts went ahead through a goal from Nathan Fisher but a late penalty from Reece Styche made sure Rovers had something to take back on the long journey home.  AFC Telford United won their first game of the season after a comprehensive 3-0 win at home to Braintree Town. James Spray and Kieron St Amie scored early in the game and Nathan Rooney added a penalty seven minutes from time to move up to a decent early mid table position.  Ebbsfleet United and Wrexham couldn’t be separated  and ended sharing the spoils in a close game. Johnny Hunt put the visitors ahead but Liam Enver – Marum levelled for Ebbsfleet. Grimsby and Nuneaton fought out a goalless draw which stopped both teams from registering their first victory of the season.

Kidderminster Harriers lost out in a five goal thriller to Mansfield Town at Aggborough sending them to the bottom of the Blue Square Bet Premier. Harriers Jack Byrner and Matt Green for Mansfield exchanged goals to leave the game level at half time. Marvin Johnson put the hosts ahead for the second time in the game early in the second half before a brace from Lindon Meikle earned the Stags a good away win

Aaron O’Connor of Newport leads the top goalscorers list so far with an impressive five goals from his first three games, Tom Elliott of Cambridge United and Luton’s Stuart Fleetwood are close behind on four goals.

Author Details

Stephen Fallows
Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

Leave a Reply