Blue Square Premier League – Week Four

After a busy last week, the top flight on non-league football had an easier week with only one programme of games over the weekend. Due to the international break, this weekend had been selected for this year’s Non League Day and hopes were high for some bigger attendances at the games.

League leaders Wrexham unsurprisingly drew the weekend’s biggest crowd, with over 4,000 at the Racecourse Ground to see Jamie Tolley and Danny Wright score either side of half time over Kidderminster, stalling the Harriers impressive start to the season. Wrexham lead Gateshead, who beat Alfreton Town 2-0 with two goals from midfielder Kris Gate, on goal difference with a six-point gap back to Kidderminster.  Mansfield Town and Cambridge United complete the play off positions at this early stage. Both teams managed to secure good away wins, Mansfield winning 2-0 at Darlington thanks to a brace from Matt Green and Cambridge’ Ryan Charles scored the only goal as the U’s beat Newport County 1-0.

Tamworth’s early good form hit a stumbling block as they lost away at Hayes & Yeading thanks to a goal from Richard Pacquette early in the second half.  Kettering lost 2-3 to Fleetwood in what almost became the weekends big upset. Fleetwood lead 3-0 at half time thanks to two Jamie Vardy goals either side of a strike from Gareth Seddon. With the three points seemingly in the bag the Cod Army nearly threw it away when Jean-Paul Marna scored two quick goals to leave the game in the balance, although Fleetwood managed to hold on. Kettering manager Morrell Maison resigned after this defeat left the Poppies in the bottom four.

Stockport County managed a 1-1 draw with Luton Town at Edgeley Park. Alex Lawless scored early for the Hatters, and a win was in sight but Sean McConville’s injury time equalizer secured Stockport’s fifth draw in their opening seven games.  Braintree Town moved into the top half of the table with a 1-0 win at home to Lincoln City, and were joined by Barrow, who managed to come from behind after Liam Enver-Marum put the Fleet ahead. Adam Boyes and Paul Smith scored Barrows goals in a fine win. Grimsby won only their second game of the season as the beat Forest Green at The New Lawn thanks to a Michael Coulson goal, while Southport and Telford had possibly the busiest half of the season so far. Five goals and four first half bookings gave Southport the three points after being pulled back from 3-0 up before two quick goals from Greg Mills and Andy Brown.

In the race to be the top goal scorer in the division, Gateshead’s Jon Shaw still leads the way with seven goals, closely followed by Reece Styche of Forest Green with six and then Adam Boyes and Jason Walker of Barrow and York City respectively with five goals.

Author Details

Stephen Fallows
Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

One thought on “Blue Square Premier League – Week Four

Leave a Reply