Blue Square Bet Premier – Tight at the top

Nine games into the season for non leagues top flight and Newport head the league on goal difference thanks to a convincing away win at struggling Barrow. Lee Evans put the exiles ahead on the stroke of half time and Danny Crow scored a second half double to make sure of the victory that took them above Macclesfield after their point away in a cracking 3-3 draw at Nuneaton. The home side took the lead after Andy Brown’s goal and James Armson’s penalty put the home side in control at half time.

Keiran Murtagh put Macclesfield back in the frame before Danny Sleath appeared to have given Nuneaton the win. An action pack injury time saw Matthew Barnes – Homer and Arnaud Mendy score the goals that earned a draw and a share of the top spot in the table.  The other teams in the play off spots also drew with another late goal, this time from Alfreton’s Dan Bradley cancelling out Yan Klukowski’s early goal for Forest Green in a 1-1 draw and the weekend’s big game between Luton and Wrexham ended 0-0 in a tight encounter at Kenilworth Road.

Dartford’s early season form continued as they dominated Hereford United in a 4-0 victory. Ryan Hayes gave them an early lead in the fourth minute before second half goals from James Rogers, Danny Harris and Jon Wallis made the points safe and leaves dartford just outside the play off spots. Goals either side of half time from Adam Cunnington (penalty) and Tom Marshall saw Tamworth earn a fine 2-0 win away at Gateshead, while Mansfield defeated Braintree by the same margin after goals from Lee Stevenson and Jake Speight moved Mansfield up to eighth. Grimsby stayed in the top half of the table despite being held to a goalless draw away at bottom side Kidderminster Harriers.  There were goals galore at the Abbey Stadium in the game between Cambridge and Telford where all six goals were scored in the last half hour of the game. Steve Jones put the visitors ahead before Andy Pugh and Michael Gash gave the hosts the lead. The game swung the other way again when first Richard Davies and then James Spray looked to have given Telford the victory with just minutes remaining before a last minute strike from Tom Shaw meant the points were shared.

Woking came from behind to beat Stockport  2-1 in a game were the hosts were reduced to ten men at Edgeley Park. Alex Kenyon put County ahead in the first half a few minutes before Gavin McCallum levelled the scores. Loick Pires scored midway through the second half and that was enough for the visitors to win the points. A last minute penalty  from Chris Lever gave Southport a decent victory in a game that saw two penalties saved during the match and Ebbsfleet reduced to ten men after Patrick Ada was red carded. Lincoln moved away from the bottom four after beating Hyde United 3-2 in another game that saw three penalties, this time all of them were converted. Colin Larkin put the Imps ahead just before half time before Hyde’s Scott Spencer and Colin Larkin’s second penalty  left the game finely balanced. Phil Jevons equalised for Hyde before a late winner from Lincoln’s Vadaine Oliver was enough to secure all three points for the home side.

Author Details

Stephen Fallows
Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

Leave a Reply