Blue Square Bet Premier – Newport lead the way

Six games into the season the form is beginning to even out as the league takes shape.

Wrexham ended Newport County’s perfect start to the season as a goal in either half saw Wrexham move in the right direction towards the play offs. Adrian Cieslewicz scored in the first half and their lead was added to by his replacement Danny Wright with just eight minutes remaining. Newport fine start meant that they stayed top despite this setback.

Forest Green Rovers won their third successive match to move into second in the table after dispatching Hyde United 3-1 at home. Reece Styche and Jamie Turley scored early in the first half to give the hosts a commanding first half lead. Ryan Crowther brought Hyde back into the game in the 56th minute but a last minute strike from Ben Wright ensured three points for Rovers.

A convincing win at Kenilworth Road against fellow high fliers Macclesfield Town kept Luton at the top end of the table. Jake Howells scored for the Hatters in the first minute and Andre Gray doubled the hosts advantage. The second half started with Nat Brown bringing Macclesfield back into the game before late goals from Scott Rendell and Stuart Fleetwood completed a 4-1 rout.

Gateshead moved into fourth after Yemi Odubade scored the only goal of a scrappy game to beat Nuneaton. AFC Telford kept up the pace with the other top teams after beating Southport 3-0 in a fine away performance. Steve Jones put the visitors ahead in the first half before a Simon Grand own goal and Keiran St Amie won the points for the Telford. Tamworth stumbled after their decent start to the season with a 2-1 away defeat against Braintree. The teams exchanged fist half strikes from Michael Gash and then Tamworth’s Adam Cunningham, but an Holman scored a second half penalty to earn the hosts the victory.

Two goals late in the first half rom Dayle Southwell and Shaun Pearson meant the Mariners left Hereford with a 2-0 win in a mid table battle at Edgar Street. Dartford, powered along by a man of the match performance from Harry Crawford, dismissed Alfreton 5-1 at home to leave the visitors just above the drop zone. Jacob Erskine and Ryan Hayes also scored for the home side with Danny Meadows scoring what proved to be little more than a consolation goal for Alfreton. Stockport and Cambridge couldn’t be separated at Edgeley Park with first half goals from Sean Newton from the penalty spot and Luke Berry giving both teams a share of the spoils.

Mansfield picked up a routine three points at home to Woking after winning 3-1. After taking a two goal lead through Louis Briscoe and Matt Rhead in the first half, Joe McNerney threatened to bring the visitors back into the game before Jake Speight’s last minute winner. Lincoln City and Ebbsfleet United shared a point apiece after Liam Bellamys second half goal cancelled out Nicky Nicolau’s third minute opener for the hosts. Things don’t seem to be getting any better for either Barrow of Kidderminster Harriers. Both teams are still looking for a win after sharing the points at Holker Street. Danny Pilkington put the basement club ahead only for Richie Baker to earn a late point for the Bluebirds, not enough for either team to escape the drop zone.

At the top of the strikers chart, Luton’s Stuart Fleetwood still leads the way with 7 goals, with Aaron O’Connor of Newport  just one goal behind.

Author Details

Stephen Fallows
Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

Leave a Reply