Blue Square Bet Premier League – Yak on target for table toppers

Newport stayed top of the league after a close fought 1-0 victory against Ebbsfleet United. Ismail Yakubu scored the only goal of the game in the first half and held on for the win, which gave them a three point lead against new second placed team Wrexham, who edged a thrilling encounter away at Stockport to record a 3-2 win.

The Hatters took the lead through Danny Hattersley midway through the first half, although that was quickly cancelled out when Craig Hobson put through his own net. A penalty from Neil Ashton swung the advantage to the away team before half time, and he added a second from the spot with just eight minutes remaining to seemingly seal the points. Hattersley added his second just two minutes later to pressure the Dragons, but the visitors managed to hold on for the win.

Forest Green dropped into third place after losing to Tamworth 2-1 at home. An Adam Cunnington brace gave them a decent first half lead. Jamie Collins brought the hosts back into the game but they couldn’t force an equaliser. Braintree won for the first time in eight games with an impressive away win at Luton. Braintree went two up with goals from Dan Holman and Sean Marks but Simon Ainge’s header brought Luton back into the game before half time. Dan Walker made it 2-2, but parity didn’t last long as Matt Paine headed Braintree to victory.

Telford cruised to an impressive 4-1 away win against Dartford to end the hosts impressive recent run. A quick Steve Jones brace gave the visitors the lead, which was added to in the second half by Luke Hubbins and Phil Trainer. Elliot Bradbrook scored the consolation for the home side, as they kept their place in the play offs.  Grimsby ended Alfretons six match unbeaten run when Scott Neilson and Ross Hannah scored in a 2-0 away win. Macclesfield completed an excellent comeback after being two down to hold Gateshead to a draw. Jamie Chandler and James Curtis put the hosts in a commanding position but two goals in the last twenty minutes from Matthew Barnes – Homer and Chris Holroyd made sure the points were shared.

Nuneaton and Hereford couldn’t break each other down in a goalless draw, while Mansfield and Lincoln City also struggled to find a way past each other, in a match which also finished in a stalemate. Barrow’s latest thrilling comeback was in front of their home fans as they despatched Southport to record back to back wins. Chris Lynch scored his first competitive goal and a Tom Anderson own goal looked to have given Southport the three points but three goals in the last 17 minutes secured an unlikely win for the bluebirds. A double from Adam Boyes and Richie Baker’s late winner move the Cumbrian side three points from the relegation zone.

Kidderminster beat bottom club Hyde 3-0 to move out of the bottom four through goals from James Vincent and a double from Ryan Rowe.

Author Details

Stephen Fallows
Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

Leave a Reply