Blue Square Bet Premier League – Wrexham back on top

Tuesday night saw five games in the Premier with Wrexham retaking top spot after a 2-1 win away at Alfreton. Neil Ashton put the visitors ahead before the equaliser came from Ben Tomlinson. Wrexham were reduced to ten men early in the second half but still managed to find a way to victory through Joe Clarke’s solo goal with just 15 minutes remaining.  Luton jumped back into the play off places after a Jon Shaw hat trick saw them crush bottom side Barrow 6-1 at Kenilworth Road.  Scott Neilson and Janos Kovacs put the hosts two goals up before Shaw stole the show. Adam Boyes scored a consolation effort for the Bluebirds, but only four minutes later Andre Gray added further misery onto the visitors, who could only name two substitutes, amid news of a transfer embargo and unpaid tax bills (which have since been settled).

Macclesfield, fresh from beating Championship leaders Cardiff City in the FA Cup last weekend, continued their fine run of form with a comfortable 3-0 win away at Braintree to move up to ninth in the table with goals from Amari Morgan  – Smith and a brace from Wade Fairhurst doing the damage. A goal at either end of the game saw Hereford and Telford share the points at Edgar Road. Marley Watkins put the Bulls ahead after just two minutes, and they looked like holding onto the lead until the very last minute when Gerard Kinsella earned a decent point for the visitors, whilst Southport looked to move into the comfort of mid table after an impressive 4-2 win at home to Lincoln City. The Sandgrounders moved into a three goal lead courtesy of a Simon Grand double and an Andy Owens strike, but Jamie Taylor reduced the deficit before half time to give the Imps some hope for the second half. Karl Ledsham all but finished the game as a contest with thirteen minutes left, but a header from Vadaine Oliver gave brief hope again for the visitors.

Newport jumped ahead of Grimsby into second place in the best of Saturday’s games, with Aaron O Connor and Robbie Willmott (making his debut for the Exiles) grabbing two goals apiece, with replies from Vadaine Oliver and Chris Bush not enough to affect the result. Kidderminster Harriers fine run of form continued as they showed that even with ten men, they were more than a match for Mansfield, as first half goals from Mickey Demetriou and Lee Vaughn were enough to see the Harriers back into the play-off spots at the expense of Luton.  Hereford and Alfreton shared six goals in an epic encounter at Edgar Street. Ryan Bowman scored Hereford’s goals either side of Paul Clayton’s reply, but it all changed round in the second half after Stefan Stam headed the hosts into a 3-1 lead. The Bulls looked good for the win but Nathan Arnold and Connor Franklin fought back and won the visitors a well earned point.

Braintree Town pushed Telford into the bottom four after scraping a 3-2 win at home. Sean Marks and Luke Daley put the hosts two goals up  before Nathan Rooney gave Telford a way back into the game. Kenny Davis gave the hosts a twp goal lead again, but another strike from Rooney in the last minute made sure the last few seconds weren’t too comfortable. A goalless firat half between Nuneaton and Forest Green burst into life in the second half as Matt Taylor put the visitors ahead before a late equaliser from Delroy Gordon earned a share of the points.  In Sunday’s game, a last minute winner from Jayden Styockley was enough to see |Woking past strugglers Ebbsfleet United, leaving the Fleet 23rd in the league, four points from safety.

Author Details

Stephen Maunder

Stephen Maunder has completed Journalism MA and English BA degrees at the University of Kent. He has written for BBC News and several sports blogs.

Leave a Reply