Blue Square Bet Premier – Change at the top

Forest Green took the top spot from former leaders Newport after beating Lincoln City 3-0 in the Friday night game. A brace from Matt Taylor and Magno Viera’s point blank finish made sure the Rovers went a point clear of the Exiles.

Newport couldn’t find a way past Grimsby, themselves fighting at the right end of the table and the game finished deadlocked at 0-0, as did third place Wrexham, whose goalless encounter at Nuneaton left them trailing the top two by three points. Luton Town joined the Dragons on 23 points after beating Southport 3-1 at Kenilworth Road. Stuart Fleetwood put the hosts ahead after just four minutes but Andrew Parry levelled on the stroke of half time. Two goals early in the second half from Scott Rendell saw the Hatters take the points.

Dartford put on a late show to come from behind against bottom placed Hyde United and move into the top five. Alex Brown put the visitors ahead and for a while it looked like could take all three points but Harry Crawford and Richard Rose struck in the last five minutes to seal the win. Tamworth just about held on to deny Woking in a five goal thriller at the Kingfield Stadium. Tommy Wright and Adam Cunnington gave Tamworth a decent first half lead. Kevin Betsy gave Woking a route back into the game although George Baldock quickly restored Tamworth’s lead, although Mike Cestor made it a nervy finish for the visitors. Kidderminster continued their recent form with a fine 3-0 win at home against Mansfield with goals from Cheyenne Dunkley, Ryan Rowe and Marvin Johnson. Mansfield and Hereford drew 1-1 after Exodus Geohaghon cancelled out Marlon Jackson’s opener for the visitors.

Gateshead and Telford finished predictably close for two teams that are similarly placed in the league. Ryan McGorrigan put the Tynesiders ahead in the first half before Steven Leslie equalised midway through the second half. Gateshead missed the chance to win the game after Ryan Young saved a penalty late in the game. Stockport beat relegation threatened Ebbsfleet 3-1 in an action packed second half with four goals coming in ten minutes. Craig Hobson scored twice in three minutes and Tom Collins put Stockport in a strong position at Edgeley Park. Nathan Elder scored a penalty which proved to be nothing more than a consolation for the away side.

Barrow crashed to another defeat at home to Cambridge, who ended their own recent dismal run. A Michael Gash penalty and Matthew Flynn own goal gave the U’s a decent first half lead, which was soon added to by Andy Pugh before Gavin Skelton briefly brought Barrow within reach. Tom Shaw ended the Bluebirds hope with an excellent finish. A late penalty in each half meant Alfreton and Braintree shared the points with Dan Bradley and Kenny Davis scoring from the spot.

Author Details

Stephen Fallows
Stephen Fallows

Barrow AFC fan, long since joined the ranks of the disenchanted after becoming disillusioned with the Premier League juggernaut, although keeping a keen eye on all things football and like every football fan, has an opinion on whats going on.

Leave a Reply